Thursday, January 4, 2024

Hanging Up the Running Shoes...

 Good morning everyone...

Since August of 2016, thanks to our own Captain Treadmill, I have diligently put in mile after mile. Actually, I had agreed to The Buck Fifty a month before, but didn't start running till a month later (and a full decade since I had run at all) - thanks procrastination! After some initial cursing directed at Mark, I did it willingly and have enjoyed nearly every minute despite the weather, how I was feeling, lack of sunlight or time. Or when Mark then skipped out on the first Buck Fifty after getting us all involved to take a cruise - schmuck ;)

I made new friends, rekindled old friendships, set PRs, chased down nemesis', climbed ridiculous elevation, lost, won & lost some more & ran on the humid jungle-like trails of Costa Rica.

Attempted & crushed the half marathon (1:23:54), conquered "The Hillbilly" (Gary K. Fetherolf's definition of running the Friday/Saturday Buck Fifty followed by the Athen's Half Marathon that Sunday) and even saw Lauren get interested and begin running as well (I think she was bored always being the chauffeur & cheerleader).

In this time I met Lauren, moved, got married, had a child and moved again. Lauren ran up until 4 months pregnant, even winning her age group at a half marathon in Holland, Michigan. I continued after Russell arrived and changing to a job requiring a 4am wake up time.

Now that Russell is approaching two and is as active as a wind up toy on a sugar high, along w/ the hour drive to & from work...I simply have no time to run. Not to mention I would much rather spend time w/ my son as I approach 50 (48 as of 12/20) year of age. I took a break from running shortly after taking the new job, but that break prolonged and I have discovered I don't miss it all that much...some things, but little else.

To avoid a last minute drop out like last year due to the job change, I am starting 2024 by officially announcing that I am retiring my running shoes and to give the eager Buck Fifty-ers plenty of time to pick up a replacement - if not done so already.

After 7 years and thousands of miles, my last race, & run, was the Branstool Orchards Spring Blossom 5k trail run on April 15th - I'm happy to say I won it and we made it a family affair as L & R completed it with me. 

I will be cheering and sharing the post race beers with you from afar. A big Thank You to Mark - and all of the current & former Traffic Panthers - for making my forties much more enjoyable than I could ever have imagined.

Happy New Year and may your next run be your best run - race on friends!





No comments: