Tuesday, January 25, 2022

You've Got *Unborn* Mail

At one time or another we've all received mail addressed to us with a misspelling of our name or even a butchered phonetic version of what appears on our state issued ID. For example, I received some Victoria's Secret junk mail this week addressed with my middle name as my first name followed by the correct last name. My first name didn't appear anywhere on this piece of physical mail spam and I have never used my middle for anything other than what it is, how?

It was very odd, though there were some excellent "classy" photos of barely-there undergarments being modeled by stereotypical looking women for me to peruse through before sending it to it's recycling bin home in the carport. Maybe the squirrels will find it just as entertaining.

For other mail, there comes surprises. The day after receiving the mail addressed to a nonexistent version of me, we received a package addressed to myself, L and Russell! The first piece of mail received with our son's name on it. The text sent by L consisted of a photo of the label with the message, "It's like he's a real person!!" 

The package had contents to help add to the organization of the baby room, which has been fun and one can't help but wonder if Russ would approve of where things are located and how it's decorated. Even the cats have been spending time snooping around and curiously wondering what will soon be taking place.

Once L putting the crib together, she wondered what we should do regarding the possibility the cats (Whiskey & Jameson) getting in to it. For awhile there wasn't a worry as they saw it as something taking up space and avoided it. Then about two weeks ago I hear L yell, "Jameson!", which was followed by a thud and then an orange blur leaving Russell's room and darting down the basement steps.

This will be posted for our cats shortly. We're giving you
fair warning Whiskey & Jameson.
The fat orange cat (nicknamed: chunka-chunk) was discovered curled up in the crib asleep. Typically, this would be worrisome, but some key factors are in play. One, he was asleep on a blanket he prefers and this is something that will not be in the crib once Russell arrives. It was simply a temporary holding place. 

Secondly, both of the cats freak out at the slightest noise and I can't imagine them hanging out in a room where the equivalent of a drunken smoke alarm getting false positives from alcohol-fueled dreams breaks the silence every hour. And, Yes, I did just compare our unborn son to a Schizophrenic warning system (Sorry, Russ, but you gonna be loud & lots of things will irritate you. My apologies). 

L's pregnancy, which had been relatively uneventful, now seems to be testing her with the "you thought this was going to be easy, didn't you" stage. A stomach bug clobbered her for about two days this past week, leaving her unable to go to work, inhaling liquids and sleeping (or attempting to sleep). Of course, carrying a fetus at 37 weeks compounded the process of ridding her system of said bug.

The first night she was tossing around and visiting the restroom so frequently that I was unable to rest. I moved to the sofa in the front room, but since it is more/less a love seat - my six-foot-three frame couldn't get comfortable. I ended up curled up on the floor, drifting in and out of sleep till my work alarm went off. It wasn't a fun night for me, I can't imagine the enjoyment L dealt with.

Tuesday Night Ice Ninjas: Gary, Ken and yours truly.
The Tuesday night meetup with Gary & Ken for a run, wings & beer at Buffalo Wild Wings usually ends with me garnering something to take home to L. This week, instead of food from b-dubs, it was Gatorade and dry cereal from the nearby supermarket. The run on this night was cold, icy and windy - making it less than fun. Jokingly, Gary said the ice was a blessing as it forced us to slow down for an easy pace as he goes about covering Delaware City streets for his CityStrides and kept him from having to keep up with my usual 6 minute mile pace. Though, he still has awhile to go to catch me in Delaware as I have covered 405 of 633 streets for just under 64%. He may have me elsewhere, but this is my town...for the time being anyway. #HShive #mettlemonday

L is in good spirts as the
time gets closer
Thursday morning wasn't fun, woke up feeling dead tired with my back feeling like I had been in car accident. From the base of my skull to my tailbone, I was sore & achy - making it hard to move around. It was weird...no head cold, no chest congestion, no stomach issues, just worn out & sore. This forced taking two days off from work and kept me from taking part in Saturday's Fantastic Frigid 5k Race #2. Then just like that, it all wore off and I was back to normal again. I even went to get tested to make sure I didn't have some backwards form of COVID, but that came up negative...craziness.

On one of the days when I was at home hung up with whatever it was, L grabbed a few things at the grocery store she thought would help ease my discomfort. Then she sends me this text, "Seeing a lady wiping her produce with Lysol wipes....that poor red onion has no outer layer skin anymore." This made me laugh, but then my curiosity got the better of me (*I was a little bored*) and I found this on the Lysol Products website
"Lysol disinfecting and cleaning products are for surfaces and not for personal use. They cannot be used on the body or on food and always should be used as directed."  

Some people make my brain hurt.

Preparing for a Bengals win
with Jameson & Whiskey
Anyway, what made the weekend a bit more tolerable was watching my Bengals return to the AFC Championship Game for the first time since 1988, that's 34 years! Even L, a Steelers fan, was excited. It was like my childhood showed up for a couple of hours to say "hi" as it was passing through. How significant was the playoff win over the Titans? I received several congratulator texts, including one from the mom of a girl I dated in college! Yeah, it has been a long time for the Cincinnati fans and everybody knows it.

One of L's favorite things to eat as of late has been grapefruit. She eats them in a way I've never seen. She scarfs them down like one peels & eats an orange, then scavenges to get every piece of pulp off the rind. She laughs and says this is just how she has always eaten them, but it reminds me of how I would imagine a Chupacabra would go about devouring a goat or lamb gone astray. Surprisingly, she hasn't nipped a finger or two with the way she attacks the citrus and at least we know Russell will be well protected against Scurvy.

So, we about three weeks (THREE WEEKS!) away from R.O.K.S making his debut! And according to our birthing app, we are 37 weeks and he is the size of a Pound Puppy! If you don't remember (I do, my sister had one), these were plush stuffed dog dolls with floppy ears and droopy eyes. They came in a variety of colors, some with spots. Hopefully, our son will arrive spot-free. And finally, we have wandered away from the food related references to the size of our future child.

The app also states our baby is nearing their due date, which means that they could arrive any time now. But until then, they’ll continue putting the finishing touches on their development.

Speaking of, the most recent check-up for L show's ROKS' heartbeat inching closer to the target rate for birth, his head is down and he is facing her backside. And he is officially dropping - just like we have noticed - to get to the best place for turning prior to birth. Oh, and a test of the beer made for Russell's arrival has proven it to be a successful venture, slightly sweet up front, then dry and hoppy on the backend - tasty and refreshing! 

So everything is on par, even ahead of time, and it is setting up like it should....yeah, it will not always be a walk in the park - but at least we can imagine it to be...three weeks till parenthood...

Blur - Parklife

Confidence is a preference for the habitual voyeur of what is known as (Parklife!)
And morning soup can be avoided if you take a route straight through what is known as (Parklife!)
John's got brewer's droop, he gets intimidated by the dirty pigeons, they love a bit of it (Parklife!)
Who's that gut lord marching? You should cut down on your pork life mate, get some exercise

All the people
So many people
And they all go hand in hand
Hand in hand through their parklife
Know what I mean?

I get up when I want, except on Wednesdays when I get rudely awakened by the dustmen (Parklife!)
I put my trousers on, have a cup of tea and I think about leaving me house (Parklife!)
I feed the pigeons, I sometimes feed the sparrows too, it gives me a sense of enormous well-being (Parklife!)
And then I'm happy for the rest of the day, safe in the knowledge there will always be a bit of my heart devoted to it

All the people
So many people
And they all go hand in hand
Hand in hand through their parklife

Parklife (Parklife!)
Parklife (Parklife!)
It's got nothing to do with your Vorsprung durch Technik, you know
Parklife (Parklife!)
And it's not about you joggers who go 'round and 'round and 'round and 'round and 'round
Parklife (Parklife!)

All the people
So many people
And they all go hand in hand
Hand in hand through their parklife
All the people
So many people
And they all go hand in hand
Hand in hand through their parklife



Jameson & Whiskey, enjoying the current silence.


Photuris, Photinus, Pupa - 
The Russell beer at
The Fermented Firefly


Snow hike Sunday w/ L

Looking like death warmed
over during the sickness. 
At least Jameson could relax.


No comments: