Monday, December 30, 2019

Mascot Thugs, Miles & Harmony

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. In the employment arena, these things fall under the "others duties as assigned" file. They can be frustrating and/or embarrassing, but if you just do what's asked of you without making a scene - you will be rewarded in the long run.

L & C - The Holiday version.
As part of my employment at the library, I am asked to dress as our giant blue owl mascot on occasion. The playful eight-foot tall bird of prey is a lovable character adored by children and appreciated by parents. The library is asked on a regular basis for the mascot to make appearance at various events and we are all too happy to oblige as long as the event is an opportunity to promote the library and our services.

In December, a senior center near one of our branches was holding their annual Breakfast with Santa event and the library would be there with a craft for the kids. In an effort to add to the fun, our mascot of nocturnal nature would be there to further enhance the morning fun. On this Saturday morning, my co-worker Scott was busy setting up the craft table and greeting the folks who know him well. I, fully clad in the cobalt suit of foam rubber armor, began the playful antics expected of our giant feathered talisman.

The mascot doesn't speak and movement above the waist for the person acting as our feathered representative is very limited. Add in the super small meshed "windows" of sight and you have what can sometimes be a struggle. But if you are familiar with your surroundings and listen, you can get around without too much trouble. On this day, we stayed in section of the cafeteria-area without random obstructions and I could get around without trampling on any humans or falling into someone's tasty breakfast.

The senior center keep the event organized and fun, and made it festive by playing holiday music on  a piano accompanied by an accordion. The holiday craft table manned by Scott was a hit and our owl mascot was the pied piper who led kids to it. Soon some of the parents were coming over to great and interact with our over-sized adorable library representative. When the crowd would dwindle a bit, I...er...I mean "the owl" - would pose for pictures, sit on Santa's lap and take part in the full festivities.

Our house, in the festive mood
One of those times when I was free to roam, my mascot masquerade evolved into dancing with myself to the beat of whatever Christmas tune was being played - I was still performing and had to act the part. At about this time, I feel a tug on my arm ( I mean, "wing") and the phrase, "You poor thing, I'll dance with you!"  I turn to my right to point my pinholes of vision toward the subject to see who is attempting join my little dance party and it is one of the seniors helping with the event.

The elderly woman was all smiles and we joined hands & wings as we danced around to whatever holiday classic was exuding from the dime store band. Now, I can only really move my feet in mascot cocoon I was inhabiting but we made it work. It helped that she seemed to be stable and fluid herself. She and the humble owl made merry to everyone's delight! Then just as fast it began, it came to a sudden end.

As the holiday song we were partying to ended, my owl antics slowed down and eventually to a stop. Though, my holiday dancing partner had a harder time grasping the momentum shift. As I came to a halt, my winged-hands let go of the elderly dancing queen and she - too - released her grip on this youthful spectacle. I may have been in foam-rubber solitary confinement, but I was still able to control my movement....she could not.

Whiskey & Jameson using me as a chair
or my life after being banished for the
the senior center Christmas carnage
Upon letting go, my tiny window of vision continued turning to the right. From that point I hear a thud. It was the recognizable sound of a human body falling onto a concrete floor followed by the slightest tremor, though this was not produced by the shaking of the Earth's surface. It was created by the collective gasps of the 15 to 20 revelers who were witnessing what seemed to be the Breakfast with Santa muscle, Luca Brasi the owl mascot, putting the finishing touches on a party-goer who had pushed it one December ballad too far.

The lady who was dancing with my gentle giant impression had come to a stop, but her feet had not become set. So when we simultaneously let go of one another, the only thing that could stop her Leaning Tower of Pisa impression was the mortared floor below. I turn my line of sight back toward the sound of the human body collapse and she is on the floor in a heap, surrounded by horrified seniors and family members. Luckily, my owl covered face could not be seen because I mouthed a long string of obscenities out of shear panic and anxiousness that I'm sure - if audible - would have stopped a number of the frail, yet still beating, hearts huddled around us.

She stayed on the floor for a moment or two, then was helped up by those around here. She was stunned, but smiling. I gave her a hug as she laughed and told me she was okay. Apparently, the thin layer of trampled carpet covering the floor had enough give left in it to keep her from breaking anything or concussing herself. As I breathe a sweaty sigh of relief, a nearby voice says in snarky tone, "I KNEW that was going to happen."  I couldn't see who it was and wanted to say something back, but acting as the non-verbal library representative it was a good that I just wondered away - only mustering a half-hearted number one "salute" hidden by my winged hand.

Still in costume, I find my co-worker and the look on his face was - I'm sure - the same as mine: wide-eyed and struggling to lift his jaw off of his shoes. I lean into him and whisper, "When can we get out of here?"

"We have about 30 minutes left," he replies as his voice cracks while looking around as if he was expecting some sort of geriatric counter attack. Shortly thereafter, he put away his table of things and I hid around the corner - out of sight - to peel the bird costume off of my perspiring body. The senior center folks thanked us for taking part in their event, but made no mention of the near elderly execution. The quiet drive home was savored, though thoughts of Final Destination-like retribution kept me from being completely relaxed.

Other than this December 7th trauma, the month was fun and holiday inspired.

**We back EVERY pair with 
FREE Replacements if Lost or Broken**
**Each order also secures 11 meals 
to fight hunger through 



We are an independent sunglasses company for those who don't want to buy from a massive, faceless company that has been operating the same way for decades 


                                           
I finished my competition year with a couple of 5k's. The first was the Thanksgiving Wattle on turkey day morning with L, my brother, brother-in-law, niece and nephew. It was chilly and overcast, but I felt good. It was only disappointing upon learning I was just three seconds away from breaking the 18:00 barrier. Even L did reasonably well as she was also recovering from a stress fracture in her foot.

We've taken part in this race for three years now and I have gotten faster each time. Maybe 2020 will be the year I get to be a 17:00 minute turkey.

A week or so later, I had to work on the day of Traffic Panther Gary's Shalom 5k, so I signed up for the Run Santa Run 5k in Columbus the following day just to keep my running mind situated. This, too, was a chilly day but we had plenty of sun to warm us up as the race day moved along.

I ran this race just months after I started running again back in 2016 and simply ran it to break the training by myself monotony. Then I struggled to keep an even pace and finished 7th with lackluster 19:40, but at the time I was ecstatic since running was new again. On this day I really had no plan. About halfway through I had tired legs and settled on keeping a decent pace to finish out. Now I did finish with an okay for me 18:20, but I was hoping to put more of a finished on it which never happened.

With the racing year now over, L and I are looking back to what went right in 2019 and how to improve on it in 2020. As for what we needs changing, I'm not sure. I did run several half marathons, maybe a few less of them and more intermediate races.

Maybe we should schedule more destination, weekend getaway races. The Goodyear Half back in August (two weeks before our wedding) was one of those, returning to a city I worked in several years ago when I was still in broadcasting. We also went to South Haven, Michigan for L's birthday, stood on a frozen solid Lake Michigan and ran a 5k back in February. As long as we can avoid injuries, we should be able find a couple of things to entertain ourselves.

My goal for this year was to garner some PR's and run more miles than 2018. So, I lowered half marathon best twice and it now sits at 1:23:54 thanks to the Capital City Half in April . Though I did best my 2018 PR four separate times this year (Athens Half, Capital City, Goodyear Half & Nationwide Children's Half).  My 10k PR is now at 36:59 and have to thank CRC Westerville Teammate John for it as he pulled me through the first five miles of the Columbus 10k in June. Oh, and don't forget lowering my mile time to 4:53 at the CRC Mile Dash in July. Even though we had the same exact time - Gary, I still beat you ;) .

As for the number of miles, in 2018 I squeezed out 1,301.32. That mark was eclipsed on December 15th and ultimately I ended 2019 with 1,357.6 (3.7 per day, 26.1 per week).

A new running year and a new running decade is ahead, I'm married and I turned 44 on December 20th. L and I have quite a bit to look forward to and can't wait see what's in store following the New Year's Eve Columbus Blue Jackets - Florida Panthers hockey game with friends Ryan & Sarah. Our eyes are open wide and with 20/20 vision - through corrective lenses, of course - we're ready to tackle another 365 with gusto...



I don't know where I
Am going to rest my head tonight
So I won't promise that I'll speak
To you today
But if I ever find
Another place, a better time
For that moment
I was never what I am

Take me to where you are
What you've become
And what you will do
When I am gone
I won't forget
I won't forget

Maybe someday
You'll be somewhere
Talking to me
As if you knew me
Saying, I'll be home for next year, darling
I'll be home for next year

In between the lines
Is the only place you'll find
What you're missing
That you didn't know was there
So when I say goodbye
You must do your best to try
And forgive me this weakness
This weakness

'Cause I don't know what to say
Another day
Another excuse to be sent your way
Another day
Another year

Maybe someday
You'll be somewhere
Talking to me
As if you knew me
Saying, I'll be home for next year, darling
I'll be home for next year
And maybe sometime
In a long time
You'll remember
What I had said there
I said, I'll be home for next year, darling
I'll be home for next year

If you think of me
I will think of you

Maybe someday
You'll be somewhere
Talking to me
As if you knew me
Saying, I'll be home for next year, darling
I'll be home for next year

Maybe sometime
In a long time
You'll remember
What I had said there
I said, I'll be home for next year

Maybe someday
You'll be somewhere
Talking to me
As if you knew me
Saying, I'll be home for next year, darling
I'll be home for next year


Photos 2019


Holy crap, we're MARRIED!

At the Fantastic Frigid 5k Series

Post run grocery shopping, the definition
of "suave".

At the Choo Choo 9 Miler & 5K 

Dancing with the fishes at East Harbor State Park

Goofing off on the Ohio Wesleyan University Campus.
At our favorite hangout, Staas Brewing.

Warren Dunes State Park in Sawyer, Michigan
Storm cell moving in - South Haven, Michigan

From the honeymoon in South Haven, Michigan.

One of our many August wedding photos 
My impression of myself after eating the
enormous amount of holiday treats from
work, family and in our house
L & I and some members of the RunWalkDelaware 
group, Teresa and CRC Westerville Teammate Ken, 
at the group Christmas Party.
At the RunWalkDelaware Christmas Party at the
garage-turned party shack next door to us.

No comments: